Redington Software-Defined Storage solution on AWS cloud
In this blog post, we take you through the challenges modern IT organizations face in terms of the customer with a hybrid heterogeneous data storage model. Redington team helps overcome customer storage challenges using a Software Defined Storage Solution (SDS) in a Hybrid Cloud model.
Due to various reasons, enterprise customer was facing challenges in centralized data management, data consistency, data replication & storage cost in a hybrid storage model.
With IBM Spectrum Virtualize for Public Cloud SDS and Redington AWS Cloud team knowledge, the above-mentioned obstacles may be overcome to construct Hybrid and Multi-Cloud storage solutions. By enabling compression, de-duplication, and thin provisioning, you may replicate or migrate heterogeneous storage systems across on-premises and AWS cloud vice for data mobility, disaster recovery, centralized storage management, and storage optimization.
SDS Spectrum virtualize for the Public Cloud helps to overcome customer’s challenges by enabling storage layer integration in the Hybrid Cloud approach between on-premises and AWS Cloud. The Redington Cloud team assists customers in delivering IBM Cloud spectrum virtualize for AWS public cloud in the following use cases:
- Centralized storage management for Cloud and on-premises
- Reducing block storage cost by compression, de-duplication, thin provisioning
- Data consistency between on-premises and Cloud
- Replicating different heterogeneous storage systems between on-premises environments and AWS public Cloud or vice versa
- Data redundancy
- Disaster Recovery and Backup
Spectrum Virtualize Public Cloud (SVPC) SW can be deployed in AWS Cloud by AWS marketplace subscription with the Redington AWS Cloud team’s help.
Once the subscription is activated by BYOL license for SVPC from IBM, using CloudFormation template all the components and services required for deployment of SVPC in AWS will be provisioned and configured as per the below reference architecture by Redington Cloud team.
Fig: Two nodes spectrum virtualize for Pubic Cloud on selected Ec2 instance
UI and accessibility:
By using a Bastion Host (Quorum node) IP with port 8443, we can access the SVPC dashboard
- Cost Optimization –Using an SVPC, we can create a storage pool of different backend Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) volume types such as gp2. With the help of storage pooling, we can assign volume on demand to the instance. In addition to this, compression, de-duplication, and thin provisioning will reduce the overall TCO without affecting the performance
- Ease of accessibility-SVPC provides a centralized user interface for complete operational tasks such as storage configuration, management, and other operational activities that need to be performed on the storage layer via SVPC
- Manages tiered storage –Using SVPC, we can enable tiers of storage pools and volumes which will help to balance the infrastructure needs. Also, the data can be placed to the right set of storage tiers automatically with the help of SVPC policies
- Hybrid support – SVPC supports almost 400 different storage devices which can be virtualized. Also, it supports AWS Cloud because of this we can setup a seamless integration between SVPC’s, where it is going to be a single point of control for setting up the backup, replication (synchronized/asynchronized), and Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (BCDR) solution
Redington Software-Defined Storage solution on AWS cloud utilizes a heterogeneity aware software framework for the management of data storage and organization in a hybrid storage model. Within a short frame of time Redington Cloud team helped customer build a hybrid storage solution that reduced the customer’s TCO by up to 30% on storage spending in AWS Cloud.
Redington can help mitigate the challenges of any data storage model. Our solution allows proper data allocation and improves performance for customers in a cost-efficient manner. Get in touch with us to know more about our services and how we can help you.